New Mexico Baptists affirm Glorieta
The resolution, adopted at the state convention’s Oct. 25-26 annual meeting at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Farmington, N.M., was in response to LifeWay’s recent announcement that Glorieta’s operations were being scaled back and that trustees were seeking “viable options” for disposition of the property, including sale.
The resolution noted that BCNM messengers in 1947 unanimously voted to purchase property that would become “the Western Assembly known as Glorieta,” New Mexico Baptists held the first camp at Glorieta the following year and the property was deeded to what was then the SBC Sunday School Board in 1950 “with the intent that a great Baptist training center would be established and maintained in the West.”
It cited “Baptists’ sacrificial investment of millions of dollars that has contributed to the growth of Glorieta” and that the conference center has operated for 63 years “for the glory of God.”
John Loudat is editor of the Baptist New Mexican.
© 2014 Associated Baptist Press, Inc.